Page 1 of 1

Ft. Wayne, 1889

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:05 pm
by cjberndt
These photos are from an 1889 pictorial about Ft. Wayne. This one is looking east from the Pearse Hotel, which was on the west side of Calhoun St.

The 2-story barn at left and the building next to it are the Ft. Wayne Street Ry. car barns.

The PFtW&C passenger depot and garden are at center. The large buildings in the background are the PFtW&C's car and locomotive shops and roundhouse, between Clinton and Lafayette.

Craig Berndt

Ft. Wayne, 1889

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:19 pm
by cjberndt
This one is looking east on the PFtW&C mainline in 1889. A corner of the Pearse Hotel is at left, and the PFtW&C's passenger depot is just beyond it. PFtW&C's freight depot is partially visible under the tree canopy.

The flatcar at center is parked on Calhoun St. Great stub switch!

The westbound train at right is at Wabash's passenger depot. Its freight depot is just out of the photo at right, on the west side of Calhoun.

Craig

Ft. Wayne, 1889

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:35 pm
by cjberndt
This is looking west at Kerr-Murray Manufacturing on Murray St. just west of Clinton in 1889. Kerr-Murray was a foundry and iron works just south of Wabash's passenger station.

The boxcars on the Wabash RR siding include NYC&HR #3323, DL&W #20360 and #1310, and a third DL&W. Note the large LL Lackawanna Line logo.

Note that all the couplers in these photos were link-and-pin. The law requiring knuckle couplers was a decade in the future.

Craig

Ft. Wayne, 1889

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:03 pm
by cjberndt
We are standing on Broadway on the north side of the PFtW&C mainline, looking southeast at Jenny Electric in 1889. Jenny was later GE.

The dark, small building at left is the crossing guard's shack. The small white building next to it is a house.

Note the line repairman on the tall pole to the right of the office building, and the workers on the roof of the office. It was under construction when this photo was taken.

Craig