Turntable Looking East

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Turntable Looking East

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:39 pm

The description that I have is this is what you would have seen in Fort Wayne Indiana about 1900 standing east of where the turntable was located on the east side of Jenny Electric/GE was located and was looking east.

EDIT: Picture is actually taken from the GE Plant looking east. I initially thought this view was east of Fairfield and it's actually on the west side of Fairfield. The building to the right is the Wabash Roundhouse and the circa of the photo is 1910.

Question: What was the date the turntable was pulled next to the GE plant ?

Mike
Attachments
scan0023.jpg

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Turntable Looking East

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice photo, but I have a feeling of deja-vu
rrnut282
(Mike)

Jim
Veteran

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

When I worked for the N&W in the summer of 1973, the turntable and several stalls of the round house were still there. It was being used by a company that lined the inside of tank cars. There was a building near Fairfield where a local was stationed along with the local M of W crew. On the East side of Fairfield there was an unused track that formerly was the Wabash piggyback ramp along with a large shed that contained a lot of supplies for M of W. I am sure the railroad considered most of it junk, but I would of classified most of the contents as memorabilia. We would get our paychecks from an office located in the Wabash passenger station.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 pm

I would add that in 1972, there were yard crews around the clock (8:00 AM, 4:00 PM, and 12:00 midnight) that reported to the building on Fairfield and were governed by instructions from the Wabash yardmaster, who was located in the office on the east end of the old Wabash passenger station. Also, the Defiance local, a six day a week job, reported there, the local that Jim speaks of. I'm not certain when the yardmaster's job was taken off and when the yard jobs disappeared.