Waterloo Freight Depot

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Waterloo Freight Depot

Post by cjberndt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:20 pm

In July 1883, LS&MS relocated Waterloo's freight depot from Washington St. to it's current location in the SE corner of Center & Railroad Sts.

What colors was it in these 1950s photos?

Craig
Attachments
Waterloo frt depot 09-xx-58 lk NW.jpg
Sept. 1958
Waterloo frt depot 08-xx-59 lk SW.jpg
Aug. 1959

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Waterloo Freight Depot

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 am

I miss the dwarf signal that was just north of the freight house, I also like taking photo's from the platform of the former freight house. I owner is a crusty man and I have watched him just chew others up from being on his property, However I went and spoke with him and told him what I was doing and asked permission and have been able to frame some nice photo's from the platform. I would love to mount a webcam off the building. BTW he makes cabinets in the woodshop that he has in the former Freight House. I like the photo's that you have posted, have you any earlier photo's ?

They have lined the passenger station and the freight house that the two can be in the same photo...
Attachments
DSC07072 (2).JPG

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 pm

The freight depot is in the center of this Sept. 1910 view looking east. It had a dormer on the north side of the roof, probably to help move grain out of the second floor to freight cars. I don't know if it had a dormer in the south roof.

When the freight depot was moved from Washington St. to Center St., they built ramps ("elevated driveway") from Railroad St. up to the doors on the south side, to aid in unloading grain from wagons. Grain was stored on the 2nd floor, as it was in Pleasant Lake and other places.

FW&J's freight house south of Maple St. served both railroads while the LS&MS freight house was being relocated in 1883. FW&J's freight depot was closed after this one was opened. The new union passenger depot, also opened in 1883 and still standing today, served both lines, and they closed their separate passenger depots. I've never seen photos of Waterloo's original depots.

One of LS&MS's directors owned a lot of land on the east side of Waterloo, where the freight depot was originally located. Apparently he thought it would be the future center of business activity.

Craig
Attachments
Waterloo wreck train lk E 09-10-00.jpg

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Every time you post one of those pictures from your wonderful collection, I sit and blow them up and study them, because always, the longer you look, the more you see. Great stuff. There's a LS&MS boxcar, a whole crowd of people that don't necessarily look like passengers, a man standing on top of a boxcar that may or may not be a crewmember, as well as what looks to possibly be a kid on the end ladder of the same boxcar. I've never heard of the L&E Railroad, either.

A little Googling takes me to the Lexington and Eastern, a Eastern Kentucky railroad taken over by the L&N in 1910.

I'm guessing the picture was taken from the interlocking tower?

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:05 am

I cropped it to emphasize the freight house. The full photo is attached. It's hand dated Sept. 1900, and was taken from WX tower looking east.

The people are looking at something behind the wreck train. Note that the two 4-4-0 locomotives in the wreck train are facing each other with the crane sandwiched between them. The passenger train at left is moving, but the rear of its train isn't, so it might have been uncoupled for some reason. The passenger station roof is at left.

I haven't researched for a wreck in fall 1900. The famous one east of Waterloo where a freight derailed and caused a passenger train to derail was in March 1917.

Craig
Attachments
Waterloo wreck train 09-10-00.jpg