Wabash Westbound 1951

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Wabash Westbound 1951

Post by cjberndt » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:13 am

Westbound #1004 and eight cars at Broadway in Ft. Wayne, March 7, 1951. Generous Electric is in the background. Wabash's water tank at Fairfield is near the end of the train. The photographer was on top of a railcar on the siding at right.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W Wabash 1004 & 8 WB GE 03-07-51.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Wabash Westbound 1951

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 pm

A few thoughts. 1) By looking now, it's hard to believe that the fill is four tracks wide at that location. 2) Any info on those two sidings to the right? Once again, by looking at current views, it doesn't look like an area that would have had sidings. 3) Those Wabash E units were AWESOME looking machines!
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:42 am

I always wonder how they packed everything into spaces that today seem much to small, like NKP's West Wayne yards, or Mina, Ohio (below).

Wabash's bridge over Broadway is about 55 ft. wide. A 1909 map shows 5 tracks going SW from the roundhouse, and a 1919 map shows 4 tracks crossing Broadway and 3 crossing Taylor.

Craig
Attachments
Mina OH CR6 lk W post-1907.jpg
Mina, County Road 6 looking west before 1907

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:06 pm

I can't quite remember exactly what was what but I think on the right are the River tracks, there was the Old River and I think the crossover viewed divides it, from the crossover to the bridge over the St. Marys was the New River track. I recall that the track on the left was the Wall track on east of Fairfield Avenue but not recalling what it was west of there. It's possible I'm mistaken and the Wall track turned into the Old River track and then the New River track, all divided by crossovers off the main. If that's so, I don't recall the name of the track on the right. A track chart might help

I believe the tracks immediately to the right are the tracks into the Wabash freighthouse and in the distance, about the curve on the right, is the scale house and the Scale Track.

At Mina, it appears that the main ran south of the tracks for the coal docks. I walked all over that area a number of years ago and I, too, am surprised there was so much there. I also used to look at West Wayne and wonder how they got all of that into that area. Another is the old LE&W West Yard in Muncie, there was a lot there crammed into a small space.

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Post by Steve Bryan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:24 am

Bob: I believe the two sidings o the right are coal company spurs. The Sandborn maps show two between Broadway and Taylor and the Rolf Coal spur was between Taylor and Fairfield, all on the south side of he Wabash running to the east.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 am

That would make sense. I thought the coal spur started at Taylor Street, and didn't realize there was more than one.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:42 am

The rotting remains of one of the coal spurs was still quite visible six years ago. Nearer to Broadway, IIRC.

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Post by Steve Bryan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:08 am

If you go west on Taylor toward the Wabash overpass, look to the left (southwest) and the concrete end of one of the coal docks is still there. A few years ago, the name of that company was still visible. I'm not sure when it went out but I used coal in a stove back in the early 70s and it was gone by then.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:02 am

Yes, if you look into the lot next to the Comcast building, you can see the "overhang area" for the coal dock, which I guess is where I got the idea that the siding more or less started at Taylor Street. I would love to see the Sandborns as well as any photos of that area if they exist.