Playing Chicken on LE&W, 1960

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Playing Chicken on LE&W, 1960

Post by cjberndt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:46 pm

NYC #8988 southbound at Junction facing a northbound NKP train, Mar. 1960. It's 1.5 miles to Hugo. I'm not sure, but it looks like 8988 will switch right to the LE&FtW to pass the NKP.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W NYC SB & NKP NB on LE&W 03-xx-60 1.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Playing Chicken on LE&W, 1960

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:30 pm

OK, if that is looking south from Junction, what are the big buildings in the distance in front of the NYC switcher? GE should be hidden behind the switcher, American Hoist should be to the right of the tracks. I'm confused....
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Isn't that Slater Steel on the left? Was it called Slater Steel in those days? If so, the NYC is northbound. I hadn't realized until a number of years ago that the NYC used to run south as far as Hugo for interchange but then I saw a picture taken of a NYC Geep that was taken from Hugo tower.

I wonder if this was a planned meet or were they all operating at yard speed, looking out, and lo and behold, look what they found.

Mr. Berndt, you continue to post great historic pictures. I wish I could see a picture of the railroad crossings that were once at Carroll Road or Dupont Road on the NYC.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:35 pm

You are correct - it is looking north toward Junction, 1.5 miles ahead. I posted what was written on the back.

NYC had trackage rights on LE&W (NKP) south of Junction, and NKP on FW&J (NYC) north of Junction. ICC's 1917 valuation map of the Junction-Hugo section said that the mainline was owned by LE&W (2/3) and FW&J (1/3), but the connection to Wabash was owned 100% by FW&J.

Craig

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:32 pm

I know that there were two wye interchange tracks in the northwest corner of the diamond at Hugo but I don't know if there was also a connection in the southeast corner like today. Were these separate interchange tracks, one being for the Lake Erie and Fort Wayne and the other for the LE&W/NYC? I don't know.