Churubusco PRR Depot

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Post Reply
User avatar
Notch 8
Veteran
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Churubusco PRR Depot

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 am

Pennsylvania Railroad Depot for Churubusco Indiana located 55.9 miles from Logansport. this is the Butler branch of the Pennsylvainia Railroad.

Vandalia Railroad (Butler Branch)

Completed in 1874 as the Detroit, Eel River and Illinois, this line was a 93-mile outlet for farmers. Looking for better crop prices, the line was built from Logansport, Indiana, to Butler, Indiana, crossing Whitley County from the southwest to the northeast. The line passed through Collamer, South Whitley, across the Pennsylvania at Columbia City, and on through Churubusco.

The railroad entered into a lease agreement with the Wabash Railroad in 1879 for a period of 99 years. The Wabash was building a railroad to take on the eastern giants and the availability of the Eel River line provided the missing link. In an effort to smooth movements, the Wabash abandoned the shop facilities in Logansport in favor of their own in Peru, Indiana. The bondholders were outraged and began a cat and mouse legal battle with the Wabash trying to annul the lease agreement. After 10 years of legal fighting, the bondholders again had control of their railroad.

The road, once an integral part of a major railroad was now an expensive piece of unprofitable property. Quickly the Detroit, Eel River and Illinois railroad was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1901 and folded into the Pennsy's Vandalia holdings. It was now known as the Vandalia Railroad.
Attachments
Churubusco PRR Depot.jpg

cjberndt
Veteran
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:03 am

Re: Churubusco PRR Depot

Post by cjberndt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:20 pm

That is Fireman Harvey Lehman's view of the 1892 depot from his 2-8-0 in 1948. This depot was demolished or relocated in 1954.

The DER&I was opened between Logansport and Butler in 1873. Successor Eel River RR was sold under court order and reorganized as PRR subsidiary Logansport & Toledo Ry. in 1901, and consolidated with other lines as the Vandalia RR in 1905. Here is my recently-updated corporate timeline:

1852 Incorporated as The Auburn & Eel River Valley Railroad (proposed only in DeKalb Co.).
1853 Incorporated as Auburn & Eel River Valley Railroad (proposed from DeKalb Co. to Cass Co.).
1853 Renamed Logansport & Northern Indiana Railroad.
1863 Sold at foreclosure and reorganized as Toledo, Logansport & Northern Indiana Railroad.
1869 Sold at foreclosure and reorganized as Detroit, Logansport & St. Louis Railroad.
1870 Sold and reorganized as Detroit, Eel River & Illinois Railroad.
1877 Sold at foreclosure and reorganized as Eel River Railroad (leased to Wabash Railroad 1879-1901).
1901 Sold by court order and reorganized as Logansport & Toledo Railway.
1905 Consolidated with four other railroads as Vandalia Railroad.
1917 Consolidated with four other railroads as Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad
(“Pan Handle”).
1956 Merged into Philadelphia, Baltimore & Washington Railroad.
1968 Consolidated with the New York Central as Pennsylvania-New York Central Transportation
(“Penn Central”).
1976 Consolidated with five other railroads as Consolidated Rail (“Conrail”).
1984 .7-mile in Logansport, from 6th St. to 15th St. extended, acquired by Logansport & Eel River Railroad Museum.
1986 .1-mile in Logansport, from Ottawa St. to 6th St., together with 1.4 miles of the South Bend Branch, from TP&W connection to Ottawa St., acquired by Logansport & Eel River Railroad Museum.
1989 Track in Logansport (1984 and 1986 above) acquired by Logansport & Eel River Short-Line.

The depots southwest of Columbia City, and some northeast, were built in 1868, but the track was opened in segments, 1871-1873.

Craig

Wayne Gest
Veteran
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Churubusco PRR Depot

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:41 pm

The depot looks decrepit in 1948 but there appears to be an agent on duty.

cjberndt
Veteran
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:03 am

Re: Churubusco PRR Depot

Post by cjberndt » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:40 am

It was set back from Main St. about even with the front wall of the post office building, in the parking area on the south side of the post office. It was replaced with a small green parcel freight depot that was a little closer to Main St. It was identical to the freight depot at Ensley and Main in Auburn.

The Churubusco freight depot is now part of a house a few blocks away. The front of the Auburn depot was changed and it was moved c.2002 to the back of the lot.

Craig
Attachments
Churubusco hotel & depot 1909.jpg

Post Reply