New Haven NE 1882

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

New Haven NE 1882

Post by cjberndt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:38 am

This is NKP's May 1881 proposed route through the future East Wayne Yard west of New haven. We don't know if it was actually built in the location shown, but presumably was when the line was opened in 1882.

NE's location in 1902 after Wabash's Detroit-New Haven line was completed, and its location today are also shown. East Wayne Yard was opened in 1924, and may have included a relocation of NE. Wabash's realignment of its Toledo and Detroit lines in 1945 moved NE to, or closer to, where it is today.

Craig
Attachments
New Haven NE #1 1881.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: New Haven NE 1882

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:36 am

If I follow the line correct, my take is that Almet and and the grain elevator sit on top of the canal, correct? There is a pretty good size ditch between the yard tracks and the main on the backside of East Wayne. Wondering if this is actually the canal bed or just a byproduct of building the RR grade. I have always wondered the same thing about the short section of deep ditch in front of Fruchey's on Old Maumee Road, and a similar stretch hidden in the trees along the old part of Old Maumee just west of Meyer Road. I have always been interested in how the area around East Wayne developed, and what the track configurations looked like in various eras. We may have discussed this before, but was Nelson road relocated with the expansion of East Wayne? It looks like it would line up perfectly with Main Street.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:06 pm

This map has more detail as to streets and the canal. Almet and the co-op appear to be north of the canal (Main St.). From the west side of West Wayne in Ft. Wayne to this point in East Wayne, NKP followed the canal, mostly along the north towpath, or so it appears.

It looks like Nelson Rd. was relocated for East Wayne, but that needs to be confirmed by others. East Wayne Yard was opened in 1924. The engine house and other facilities were constructed in the early-1950s.

Craig
Attachments
New Haven NE #1 1881 b.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:49 pm

So basically Main Street is built on the canal? That's the way I'm taking it. IF the NKP was built on the north towpath, then those sections of old ditch are almost certainly remnants of the of the canal, as they are all on the south side of the tracks.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!