Runnion

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Runnion

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Eastbound Nickel Plate 4-6-4 #172 and its passenger train are about to cross the Grand Rapids & Indiana RR at "Runnion" in west Fort Wayne. A Pennsylvania RR 2-8-0 is switching freight cars on the NKP-GR&I interchange track. Leesburg Road is to the left. unknown photographer
Attachments
16112490_10210049047295632_4629679168754746790_o.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Runnion

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:16 am

Any chance that shanty is the one that is now closer to Runnion Avenue? My dwarf signal came from a spot just in front of the second shanty, the one closest to the photographer.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:31 am

This is looking west from Runnion Ave. at NKP's buildings in June 1958. A 1954 photo of 2-8-4 #768 in the same place shows the same buildings. That's the same timeframe as the photo of #172 above. It doesn't appear that the building in the photo above was relocated to Runnion.

Power-short NKP borrowed a bunch of C&O diesels instead of pulling steam out of storage. The event is covered in the NKP books.

The engineer of C&O #5786 had just snagged the orders from the hoop.

Both photos were by D. Allen Bauer of Ft. Wayne.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W Runnion EB C&O diesels 06-21-58.jpg

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:04 pm

:wink: Both photos are great, thanks guys. Boy, do I ever miss those Pennsy crossbucks @ the interchange track-and Bauer too!

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:25 pm

I should have known that, as I have seen that picture before. There seems to have been a whole row of buildings there, and if the current one is an original was at least the third one west of of the Runnion crossing. Google Earth would seem to indicate at least two, maybe three foundations west of the current building too. Also, by looking at Street View,I'd say there is a chance that the lineside pole is original, and the barn on the hill is still there. I'll concur that we are VERY indebted to Bauer, his photos are top notch and are invaluable in documenting the history of local railroading. I'd be thrilled to no end if 50 years from now, someone would put even a fraction of the value in any photos I have taken.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 am

Here is another of Allen's 1954 photos. The wood Spring St. bridge is visible north of the diamond on the GR&I. I wish Allen could have afforded a color camera at that time - the warning device on the gate looks like it had several parts.

In the first photo above you can see the crossing gate tender standing between the gate and the building at right. In 1954, the diamond was interlocked. GR&I had one passenger train daily except Sunday in each direction, three freights daily in each direction, and unscheduled local service, so the gate tender was a little busy. The track running off to the left in that photo was GR&I's spur to Mayflower Mills.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W Runnion 174 EB crossing GR&I.jpg

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:57 pm

cjberndt wrote:Here is another of Allen's 1954 photos. The wood Spring St. bridge is visible north of the diamond on the GR&I. I wish Allen could have afforded a color camera at that time - the warning device on the gate looks like it had several parts.

In the first photo above you can see the crossing gate tender standing between the gate and the building at right. In 1954, the diamond was interlocked. GR&I had one passenger train daily except Sunday in each direction, three freights daily in each direction, and unscheduled local service, so the gate tender was a little busy.
Craig
So you're saying that there was a person that their job was to Man the Gate ? So this would have been a very busy area for traffic with the Ft Wayne & Jackson Junction and West Wayne just being a couple blocks to the east ? Craig thanks for posting ! Anyone have a map of this area as it would have appeared in the 40's & 50's ?