LaOtto Postcard 1910 circa

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

LaOtto Postcard 1910 circa

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 am

Great view of the Depot. LaOtto, ca. 1910 - LaOtto's Union Depot and switch house stood at the intersection of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad and the Vandalia Railroad (also known at the Butler Branch or Eel River Railroad). Signs on the depot read "Adams Express Company" and "Richmond 108 [miles] / Mackinaw City 361 [miles]." The Sanborn Company did not make maps for small towns such as LaOtto and both lines have been abandoned. This is from the Indiana Album FB Page.
LaOtto, ca. 1910 - LaOtto's Union Depot and switch house stood at the intersection of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad and the Vandalia Railroad.jpg

D.L.
Veteran

Re: LaOtto Postcard 1910 circa

Post by D.L. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:16 pm

:D Crossing of the PRR and Wabash railroads.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Mike's photo is looking west on the Eel River/Vandalia RR at the GR&I crossing. The attached aerial shows where the depot and tower were located. The small concrete pad at the tower might have been a signal base.

There were connecting tracks in the northeast and southeast quadrants of the diamond. The roadbed is still visible in the NE quad.

The union depot was built in or after 1904. It was call sign SK. The tower was retired in 1934 and replaced with a smash board and tilting-target signal.

Great photo! Thanks.

Craig
Attachments
Aerial LaOtto 2016 RR Xing.jpg

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I was thinking, this was an era when interlocking towers dotted the landscape, between Columbia City and Butler, there were five, Van, LaOtto, the one south of Garrett crossing the interurban, Auburn Junction, and Butler. They were once everywhere.

I like how you can even see the distant signal on the GR&I.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 am

The tower south of Garrett was called Cedar Jct. or Vandalia Jct., but usually Cedar Jct. I don't know the call sign.

Vandale at Columbia City was CU, LaOtto was KO, Auburn Jct. was UN, and Butler was WB (WB was at the NYC/Wabash diamond, not on the Eel River RR).

The distant signal in the photo was on the Eel River/Vandalia.

Craig

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Here's another view looking southwest some years later. The rail in the southeast connecting track is barely visible at left.

Craig
Attachments
LaOtto ERR look west.jpg
Craig Berndt