Impending demolishment of an Erie relic !

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Joe
Veteran

Impending demolishment of an Erie relic !

Post by Joe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:40 am

The Decatur Daily Democrat published a news article the concrete supporting tower of the ex-Erie water tank will be demolished at an unknown date . Urban renewal is the reason given.The actual tank was removed years ago.

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: Impending demolishment of an Erie relic !

Post by cjberndt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Too bad. It's an impressive structure. Put a house on top.

Craig
Attachments
Decatur Erie water tank 01-23-16.jpg

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:58 pm

"urban renewal" is a poor excuse to use taxpayer money to destroy a piece of history. I wonder what grand worthless crap they propose as a replacement?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 am

It is a impressive structure but I imagine that they're concerned that it may fall someday or chunks of the structure might someday come falling down. I doubt that the structure means very much to the majority of the population of Decatur, either, many of whom, no doubt, have no memory of the Erie even running trains through town.

There is a similar structure in Addison, NY, a town I've been to, only because my ancestors lived there for a spell and left some of their dead behind, before moving on west.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 am

Oh I'm sure less than 9 out of 10 men on the street could correctly identify what that is. But isn't that the point of preserving history, so people can know and understand how they got there? Once it's gone, you lose context and perspective.
rrnut282
(Mike)