1910 on the CN in Ney Ohio
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 am
(June 24, 1953, 65 years ago): The Cincinnati Northern Railroad used a diesel locomotive for the first time. The Cincinnati Northern Railroad ran from Franklin, Ohio, north of Cincinnati to Jackson, Mich., passing through the Williams County communities of Bryan, Pulaski, West Unity and Alvordton. Until 1953, the railroad used steam locomotives exclusively. On its initial trip, the Cincinnati Northern diesel locomotive—pulling 84 freight cars—struck a U.S. Army truck at the crossing of what was then Ohio Route 384 (today U.S. Route 6). The truck driver was injured and the diesel locomotive was damaged. This circa 1910 photograph of a Cincinnati Northern steam locomotive at the Ney depot in Defiance County is from the Kevin Maynard collection.