Fort wayne maps 1898

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Fort wayne maps 1898

Post by Hotbox » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:38 pm

I found this map published by Geo. A. Ogle & co of Chicago very interesting. I had no idea that Peter's sawmill sat on the same land that became the Horton washing machine company

The entire mapset can be found here http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atlas/U ... unty+1898/

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Fort wayne maps 1898

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 am

I love looking at old maps to see "what it used to be" because it adds context to what we have now.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:09 pm

These 1907 township maps are interesting for just that reason, The Perry township map depicting how convoluted coldwater road was up around Stoners mill, for example, or how Kell road straddled the FW&J

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atlas/U ... unty+1907/

Or the 1898 version that actually shows Stoner's mill:

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... 8/Indiana/

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 pm

I noticed that in the 1898 map above, it does not show the Osage street underpass, passing under West Wayne. Buit if you look at the following 1924 Fort wayne map, it's pretty much shown as is today.
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... 4/Indiana/

I don't think that any of the reading I've done about Fort Wayne elevations, Mayor Hosey, etc ever mentioned the Osage street underpass being built.

I wonder why not?

Obviously a lot of things changed between 1898 and 1924.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:36 pm

And then the following portion of the 1924 map showing the transition from west Main street to illinois road, prior to the "west jefferson" days is fairly interesting.
I believes it shows the passage we've previously discussed as "the rat hole" passing under the P,FW,&Chi and connecting to Catalpa street without the present day jog in the road.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:52 pm

And for that matter, this is the first map of Huntertown I recall actually showing the location of the GR&I depot.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Hotbox wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:36 pm
And then the following portion of the 1924 map showing the transition from west Main street to illinois road, prior to the "west jefferson" days is fairly interesting.
I believes it shows the passage we've previously discussed as "the rat hole" passing under the P,FW,&Chi and connecting to Catalpa street without the present day jog in the road.

Interesting that the triangle of land north of Illinois road shows being owned by the lake Erie & Western RY. One has to wonder why and how they would come to own that particular property.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Interesting that the triangle of land north of Illinois road shows being owned by the lake Erie & Western RY. One has to wonder why and how they would come to own that particular property.
Let me be clear and say that I am just speculating, but having reviewed allen county plat maps from many many different time periods, I have on more than one occasion seen tracts of land owned by Wabash,.... P, FW, & Chi ,...and LSMS that are completely remote from any railroad operations that I was aware of. Land that to the best of my knowledge has never been developed above the level of farm, park, or golf course
I can only guess this might have roots back into the "wood burner" days? Standing timber?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 am

Just to illustrate this last point, look at the following 1860 map of Wayne Township, where I have put the red arrows.

Also note, no NKP, no LE&W, no FW&J, no GR&I
I doubt seriously that any of these remote areas shown on the following map show-up on any ICC valuation map, either.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 am

Looking at the following 1860 map pf Aboite township, one can see that P,FtW,&Chi had holdings there as well. After looking at these old maps, one thing I've noticed is how certain names seem to checkerboard over and over again across the maps. Some entities seem to have just bought in, "in bulk"

I guess that having bought the majority of it for just a few bullets, perhaps the Federal govt was willing to let much of it go rather cheaply?

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 am

During Eel River RR research I found many parcels of land owned by railroads that were never built near those parcels. For example, IP&C's line ran from Indy to Michigan City, and it owned tracts 70 miles away in DeKalb County. Furthermore, the tracks it owned in DeKalb were scattered, and not contiguous to each other.

My initial thought, and still today, was that they wanted to block routes that competitors might build on. Note on the map above how the Wabash RR line to Huntington snakes between parcels owned by PFW&C, with one exception.

I never figured out the land-buying strategy of the big developers, who owned land everywhere. Hanna, Ewing, Danforth, Randall and other big developers in Allen County owned land many miles away. My boyhood home in Butler was on land platted by Ewing, and Danforth and Ewing platted most of the land east of highway 1 (Broadway) Butler. Randall platted Avilla or part of it.

Craig

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Certainly a good possibility. Gould was notorious for playing those games, I'm sure many others did also.

Just for a little perspective, following is an 1876 map of Ft Wayne from a different source (approximate half way point between the 1860 maps and the 1898 maps)., Of interest to me is the way the Cass street depot is listed as the "North Depot", while the depot on the P,FW,&Chi mainline is listed as "South Depot"

Here is a direct link to the image also, since this forum won't allow zooming, the remote link is slightly more readable: https://i.imgur.com/yz0eiNI.jpg

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Post by Steve Bryan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I love to look at these old maps. Keep them coming!

Steve

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Steve Bryan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:55 pm
I love to look at these old maps. Keep them coming!

Steve
Here is an excerpt from an 1890 Sanborn showing the Cass street depot. Of note, the LSMS freight depot ....has anyone got a picture of this building? Not sure I have ever seen one. From a personal basis, I recall going (as a very young child) into the building listed as "Ft Wayne Artificial Ice", which in the 1960s was still and ice house. Those two cross-hatched areas labled "Freezing Tanks" were cement pits sunken into the ground, very much like a swimming pool....filled with water the day I was there. the border shown around the pits was like a cement sidewalk only 12-14" wide passing the full perimeter of the pits, with absolutely no handrail protection. I remember my dad starting to shimmy along the wall, and beckoning me to follow. Even at 4 years old I would have no part of it...he was so disappointed

first the direct link https://i.imgur.com/CzAcdqe.jpg (click on the image at the linked address and it will zoom larger)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 pm

And then here is a "full city" view of the 1876 map posted from earlier. I've got a full Allen county map for 1876 also, but just the Jpg is 21 megabytes.....not sure the hosting service accepts images that large.

First the direct link to a zoomable image https://i.imgur.com/2CQJ5lk.jpg