Ashley - Wabash Roundhouse

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Ashley - Wabash Roundhouse

Post by cjberndt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 am

I stopped at Carper Farm Supply on the east side of Grand Ave., south of Indiana Northeastern's tracks. Jim Carper showed me remnants of Wabash's 1893 roundhouse, 350 ft. north of the Garfield/Indiana St. intersection.

He said the site is covered by 18 inches of cinders on top of a deep fill of bank-run gravel.

In several places they found 3x3x3 ft. limestone cubes that were arranged side-by-side and also stacked on top of other 3 ft. cubes. They were too heavy to remove with their backhoe, so they are still underground. None were visible.

They found two 3 in. cast iron water mains that served the roundhouse.

Craig
Attachments
Aerial Ashley Roundhouse 02-09-19 site.jpg
Aerial Ashley Roundhouse 02-09-19 foundation.jpg
Carper Farm Supply 02-09-19 look north ext wall.jpg
Carper Farm Supply 02-09-19 look east 2 walls.jpg

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: Ashley - Wabash Roundhouse

Post by cjberndt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Retraction?

The 1898 plat of Ashley shows the roundhouse east of the foundations at Carper's, in the woods north of Garfield and Garrison. The long foundation in the photo above is curved, and small pieces of it continued to curve as it went north. It was too long and large to have been the turntable pit. Hmmmmm...

Craig

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Ashley - Wabash Roundhouse

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

What I remember there was remnants where Strategic Material is located, Jim's a nice Guy !

Thanks for posting !

Mike