Then and Now on the EL at Huntington

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

matt
Veteran

Then and Now on the EL at Huntington

Post by matt » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:02 am

While you can find plenty of pictures of the Erie Lackawanna yard at Huntington Indiana, a far lesser photographed spot was at Gragg Road on the northwest side of town. Dave Augsburger took the before shot of an eastbound freight in 1968 approaching the crossing and in the distance in the highway 24 overpass. I took the current shot on 1/30/21 and the only thing remaining is a telegraph pole that is right beside me and just out of view. Last time I was back in this area five years ago, the signal bases were still there but not the signals.
Attachments
hunt.jpg

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Then and Now on the EL at Huntington

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:37 am

3 things:
Where are the semaphores?
That's not a helper pocket track for the yard switcher pushing the westbounds out of the Wabash River valley, is it? I would think it would be further out of town. Doesn't the heavy grade go all the way out past the SR 5 crossing?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:57 pm

There were no semaphores there but colored light signals, as can be seen in the 1968 picture. I remember many times going over the Route 24 bridge and looking toward the eastbound signal to see it lit yellow for approach and I never saw a more permissive indication there.

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Part of that ROW is now a concrete walking path.