Bluffton depot and crossing

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

caylorman
Veteran

Post by caylorman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:53 am

Wayne,
Just so I get this straight, the Clover Leaf main is the track with most of the covered hoppers on it, correct?

I'm assuming from left to right in the picture you have the following:
NCD Main
NCD Siding
Yard Track (whose is this, what is it used for?)
Clover Leaf Main
Clover Leaf Pass
Clover Leaf Storage

I was dipping into my archive and found IHRC's general order printed on the first day of ownership of the line from Van Buren to Douglas, OH. If I remember it correctly (I'm at work now & it's at home), there were instruction to keep the Clover Leaf Main open as a runaround. Was the third track originally there, or was it added in as a runaround track?

E.J.

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:26 pm

there was another siding serving sterling casting, coke and iron were delivered by rail until about the early nineties, ever since trucks would deliver everything, norfolk southerns technicians should know about every two weeks a truck would run over the crossing gate and bucks. This occured until the closing of sterling castic inc. My father worked there for thirteen years and I can remember ihrc had a derailment in front of sterling due to the poor condition of the tracks. I also remember between bluffton and craigville, ihrc had a locomotive catch fire it was visible from st rd 124.
8v71

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Left to right.

LE&W Main (Todays' New Castle District)
Transfer
Storage
Cloverleaf Main
Cloverleaf Pass

caylorman
Veteran

Post by caylorman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Was the right-most track for the industry (mill, foundry, whatever it was)?

Thanks Wayne, you've been a big help.

E.J.

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:38 pm

as I typed before the right most track served as a siding for sterling casting. They delivered steel and coke on the siding this ended late eighties early 90's They switched to trucks for supplies becasue they were cheaper.
8v71

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Browsing the Hoosier Valley RR Museums historical photo site today, I came across a picture of the Clover Leaf Depot in Bluffton. It's at http://hvrm.railfan.net/historical/bluffton1.html

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 pm

Wow, thats definitely has to be the most unique signal arrangement I've ever seen
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster