Fort Wayne area towers

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch8

Fort Wayne area towers

Post by Notch8 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:34 pm

What towers were in the Ft Wayne area and what was the last active tower in Ft Wayne,
Would anyone on list have any pics of any of the towers that were in the area.
Also how many turntables were in the Fort Wayne area....
Fort Wayne and Jackson... when did this line cease as a through route..
Did the Pennsy Shop make it into the diesel age....
Fort wayne is still a mecca of sort for trains thanx to NS, but this area would have been something to see in the 20's-40's with the industries thst were located in the area.... 8)
What did the International Harvester use as far as the RR was concerned, did this plant ever have a coal fired staem plant for heat and to run machines, they had at one a large forge shop. unlike today where everything is brought to a facility and then assembled, most everything was produced on site. stampings, machined forgings, wire harness, etc.
This place seems like it would have han an appeitite for trains and for shipping... kinda funny Fort Wayne was home for the very competition of the RR, Freuhauf and IH.......

Mike

Hotbox
Veteran

Re: Fort Wayne area towers

Post by Hotbox » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:48 pm

Heh, lots of good questions.

Towers I remember are "Hugo" and "Junction", and I sure hope somebody honors your request to post a picture of Hugo tower, that would sure bring back some memories.

As far as Indiana line abandonments go, here is a good reference : http://www.ai.org/dot/div/multimodal/ra ... nments.pdf

By checking it you will see that the FW&J became severed from it's external connection in 1976 when the 5.5 miles between Auburn Jct and Waterloo were abandoned, with pieces closer to home going in 1986, and 1992.

I can remember when they used the segment of this track between Wells street and Sherman to stash the "circus train" rolling stock while the show was actually performing at the coliseum, circa mid 1960's

If one drives north on HWY 327, and turns west on Shoaff road, about 3/4 of a mile west of 327 you have where the old FW&J passed through there. A neat artifact is this solid poured cement shed that at one time serviced this old right of way. it's neat because it is now so out of place with it's surroundings, no good (other) reason for it to even be there, just on the norh side of Shoaff at the Tee intersection with Kell road. Looks solid enough to last another 100 years..

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:42 am

Wanst that Cement Shed for the Interuban??????????????? KB

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:45 am

You cant forget Adams Tower! The turn off of the old Pennsy line to Decatur and the Bean plant!!!!! KB

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:55 am

NOBODY HAS MENTIONED MIKE TOWER. I WAS BUMPED OUT OF THIRD TRICK IN , I THINK FEB. 1988, DUE TO . I THINK AGAIN, A CLOSURE IN LIMA. ZEKE HAS A PICTURE OF MIKE ON THE OLD SITE.
ALSO, THERE IS "NE" TOWER IN NEW HAVEN.
KEITH

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 am

Anonymous wrote:Wanst that Cement Shed for the Interuban??????????????? KB
Was it? I suppose it could have been. Where it sits , locationwise, it looks like it could have been either or, and the limited success I have had asking "local " folk seems like memory goes back about 10 years....

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:15 pm

The cement building was known as Stoners on the Toldeo and Chicago Interurban line. The Fort Wayne & Jackson was just a short distance east of there and there was an interchange track between the two at that point.

Turntables-Fort Wayne & Jackson at 4th Street, Wabash on Fairfield, PRR at Winter Street and at the shops downtown.

The diamonds for the FtW&J to cross the NYC at Waterloo were removed in 1959 and I would guess through traffic probably ceased before that. The FtW & J did continue to have connections to the NYC and traffic continued into Fort Wayne, but not directly from the north.

IH had a large coal power plant--the building is still there with the stack removed. In the early years, IH used trucks fitted with rail wheels rather than tires for switchers. There is a 1935 vintage Davenport loco setting at Pleasant Lake that was reportedly an IH switcher. I've had an old-timer that ran the IH locos tell me that there was also a conventional switcher used "just like the one at Garrett" (an Alco S-1). IH did not have any steam engines that I've heard of.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Howard wrote:The cement building was known as Stoners on the Toldeo and Chicago Interurban line. The Fort Wayne & Jackson was just a short distance east of there and there was an interchange track between the two at that point.

Great, since there is an authority in the crowd, what exactly was the purpose of the shed at stoners?

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:47 pm

Hotbox wrote:
Howard wrote:The cement building was known as Stoners on the Toldeo and Chicago Interurban line. The Fort Wayne & Jackson was just a short distance east of there and there was an interchange track between the two at that point.

Great, since there is an authority in the crowd, what exactly was the purpose of the shed at stoners?
Passenger stop.

Turntables were also at West Wayne prior to maybe 1951 and the turntable that still exists and is used at East Wayne.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:35 am

Wayne Gest wrote:
Hotbox wrote:
Howard wrote:
Passenger stop.
Passenger stop THERE? must have been a transfer point for passengers to move from the interurban to the FW&J and vice versa?

What other reason would there be to build so sturdy in the middle of nowhere ?

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:27 pm

Transfers between interurbans and steam roads were not somthing that either side provided for.

Interurbans generally had flag stops every couple miles to pick up local passengers, Many of these had waiting shelters so a couple people could get out of the weather. I can't say why some were built of cement, but there are other cement waiting shelters preserved in the Indianpolis area and the Erie RR had similar structures as phone booths and outhouses. Certainly they would be low maintenance buildings.

There are a couple wooden waiting shelters from the Bluiffton line that have been moved to a farm in Wells County. Take Thiele Road south from Wayne High School. The road becomes CR450E in Wells Co. The shelters are now tools sheds on a farm about a mile north of US-224. Here's the one originally from Kingsland
Attachments
Waiting Shelter on 450E-Kingsland.jpg
Waiting Shelter on 450E-Kingsland.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 11932 times

Notch8

Iterurban and RR north of Ft Wayne

Post by Notch8 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:50 pm

There was a transfer track between the interurban and the RR, does anyone or has anyone on list seen any pics of this,
Toledo and Chicago Interurban they wasn't going via a direct route now were they !
Just south of the Cement building the old bridge is still in, in remarkably great condition.
Was the a tower at St Rd 327 and 205. ? any pics of this. the now AEP building in Ft Wayne was this the Chicago and Toledo Interurban or what.

Did the Casad Depot have a crew that worked out of the depot or how was that handled..
The Power plant in Ft Wayne now Science Central what RR aservers that GR&I ? and when did this cease producing power ? If Im not mistaken thor one of the boilers left the building while the rails were still to the building.. would have been neat to see the facility back on line...
Did the RR ever serve the Ole Crown Brewery ? and did the Falstaff brewery ship or recieve via rail.
What did the RR's bring to the GE plant coal ? and when did this die off ?
Did Rea or Phelps ship or recieve via rail....
Did any of the RR's in Ft Wayne run a load unload ramp for semi trailers ? looks like it could of made it in the Fort, and handle Indy Columbus Chicago and Detroit, kinda like what Triple Crown does now..
Anyone on list have any pics of the trains (Pennsy) with the fishing line trains going to Michigan...that would have beeen the way to travel 75 years ago... goin fisin Ma be home in a few days....eeehaw !
what kinda of times would have taken to go from Ft Wayne to say Travers City MI ????
Gotta Million questions if any one feels froggy..
:lol:
Mike

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Anybody care to share pictures of the cement building and interurban bridge on the board?

JW

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 pm

I believe that bridge is the FW&J bridge, unless there's another bridge there I've never seen.

Not uncommon for there to be little shelters set up for picking up passengers.

Craig Berndt did an interesting presentation for a Allen County geneaology group a month or so ago on the interurban at the Dupont library branch, lots of pictures.

There was a two story tower at the crossing with the GR&I, it burned sometime around 1918, IIRC, was replaced first with a boxcar, or perhaps a coach, can't remember, and then a one story structure. He also had pictures of this.

Hotbox
Veteran

Re: Iterurban and RR north of Ft Wayne

Post by Hotbox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Notch8 wrote: The Power plant in Ft Wayne now Science Central what RR aservers that GR&I ? and when did this cease producing power ? If Im not mistaken thor one of the boilers left the building while the rails were still to the building.. would have been neat to see the facility back on line...

Mike
With all that black smoke belching out the stacks? No thanks.

BTW, where was that boiler destined?