Spring Thunderstorms

Scanners, HAM's, ATCS, Streaming Audio, Mobile Rigs, and anything else tech.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

Spring Thunderstorms

Post by Greg46m » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 pm

The storms that rolled through on Monday evening wreaked havoc on the FWARailfan features the other night. While our main website and forums sits soundly in the dry Pheonix dessert, the audio and ATCS mechanix of the website fell victim to the weather the other night. I lost power here at the house at 6pm and was in the dark for about 8hours until crews got me turned back on. The battery backups kept on running the site for about 30 minutes but gave up after that. I actually turned off the audio and ATCS servers before that to try and conserved power to run my router/modem so I could stay up-to-date on the storm with the laptop, but that gave out too. While yesterday was my day off, I ended up with more of a honey-do list than I could manage and didn't have any time to get to the servers until this evening when I got home from work. After a little give and take with the machines, I finally scored a victory and got everything back up and running smoothly. All of the audio and ATCS features should be back to normal again. With the extended power outage my IP was reassigned so it may take a little bit longer for your media player to find the site again but it should be ok once it does that. Let me know if there's any problems anywhere.

-Greg
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Spring Thunderstorms

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 am

IT"S ALIVE. Thanks, Greg. I can sit in my cubic-hell in the office a little more comfortably, now.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:49 am

rrnut282 wrote:IT"S ALIVE. Thanks, Greg. I can sit in my cubic-hell in the office a little more comfortably, now.
Mike

That is just mother nature telling you to get out of your cubic-hell and get back outside.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 am

Don't worry, I'm back in purgetory (Sturgis). I get plenty of fresh air working at the WWTP (turd works). :shock: {holding breath}

The only good thing is the plant entrance drive is the old roadbed for the line from Sturgis to Napanee. Is fifty years close enough to still railfan?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 pm

RRnut282 what do you do at the turd plant @ Sturgis ? was there the otherday when they had the 550 ton crane putting the lid on the digester.
The toll road has claimed 2 RR overpasses on the south side of Sturgis in recent years, the other the GR&I, I see MSO trains are a little smaller
the the absence of Sturgis Metals traffic. there were several empty gons in Sturgis a week or so ago..

Mike

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 am

I was there putting that lid on the digester. Where were you? Want photos and video? Placing it was nothing. The fun part was making it burp during testing.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

I took pictures... I sell & service cranes, the Sturgis WWTP is one of my customers, we do alot of WWTP's.
I stopped and got out with a camera took several pictures, the guys on top of the digester were watching
me watching them. what do you do when someone pulls out and starts taking pictures ? you gawk thats
what you do. that was a NICE crane they used..

Mike

mp 126 Wabash 4th
distict

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:51 pm

So you don't work for Grand Davo or Terry's? What did you do, just drive through the front gate?

That 550 ton Grove GMK7550 they used is supposed to be the largest based in Michigan. You don't want to make the monthly payments on a toy like that. :shock: When they took the old floating cover off of the digester they only used a 350-ton Grove. They took the concrete ballast blocks out before removing the old one. It was just 55,000 lbs of steel and petrified sh**. The new one was lifted with the concrete ballast in-place so it was a 159,000 pick.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:15 pm

The cranes that I do are permanent fixtures at these facilities and we do cranes and
hoist for other industries as well, from about as small as a 65 # load to 350 ton
power house cranes. however I was impressed with the crane that was on site !
I was there that day to see Tom and asked for permission to take the photo, I think
he was just as impressed with the crane as well.
Send me your email and I will send you some pictures with you in them..heheh !

Mike