Changes reguarding audio feed and additional scanner feed

Scanners, HAM's, ATCS, Streaming Audio, Mobile Rigs, and anything else tech.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

Changes reguarding audio feed and additional scanner feed

Post by Greg46m » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:18 am

Group-

I know the audio has been down for a day or two but it is fixed now. I got tired of having to re-enter the IP address for DNS to point at the audio server so I signed up for a dyndns address. Now whenever my IP changes, it will automatically change the IP that the link refers to and therefore outages will be very minimal (it usually takes it a couple hours sometimes to figure out my IP has changed).

Here's the new and permanent address:
http://fwaudio.dyndns.org:8000

Also I am in the planning stages of getting a new audio feed up and running. It will be located out in Wellsboro, IN, just a few miles east of Valporaiso. Although centered around the CSX Garrett sub where it crosses the CN, I will also hopefully be able to pickup the NS Chicago District. If reception is good enough for NS, I'll have two seperate feeds. One for NS/CF&E and another for CSX/CN. Another possibility is to have one single feed. In doing this I'll have it setup so that your left computer speaker will play the NS feed and the right speaker will play the CSX/CN scanner. I'm kinda looking for your guy's input on this. Would you rather have it seperate or put together as one feed? If you absolutely don't want CSX or NS together you can always go into your audio features on your computer and select either the right or left speaker.

Also on the agenda is our first FT Wayne Railfan owned ATCS feed. It will be at the same location and will serve up the CSX/CN lines around Wellsboro and hopefully the NS Chicago District to the south. Once I get it going it'll be a little bit before you guys can use it. The CSX portion is not fully decoded so once I get the server going, Chris Guss said he will be able to finish decoding from home for us.

If anybody would like to donate some old equipment to help out with this project, let me know and I'll be in touch. What is needed right now is another scanner. The Radio Shack Pro-2046 that we use for the server now works great. It was donated by Mike Meisener from Butler, and it works better than any scanner I tried before it. I can use pretty much any scanner, handheld, mobile or base. I'm also looking for some kind of mast-mount antenna. Not something terribly big, but one that has good strong reception.

I'll add that this project is being made possible by Al Stevens, a member of the site. He's graciously offered us a spot to host a server and equipment. If anybody else around the Ft Wayne area would like to host a server, especially if it's in close proximity to the tracks, shoot me and email and I'd love to work something out.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:48 pm

Can we still use windows media player for the new link? I get an error that its an unrecognized format. What am I doing wrong?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:06 am

It should work just exactly the same. What time did you try it Mike? I tripped a breaker in my apartment last night right before I went to bed and I didn't have the energy to make sure everything came back on right. Looking at it now from work this morning (Sunday - 0700), it looks like the server is unavailable. I'll have to reset it once I get home later. If you keep getting the "unrecognized format", try closing media player and restarting it and entering the address until it takes. Sometimes after a server restart, it'll take me several tries to get back on.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:03 pm

Everything is back to normal again. Server restarted and for some reason the scanner was shut off...hmmm.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:05 pm

I thought I was somewhat computer savvy, but at 3pm Sunday, April 2,2006, I still an error message from windows media player version 10 about an unsupported format or unrecognized codec was used to compress file. Am I the only one having a problem? Am I the only one listening? :?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Ed Mosser
Veteran

Post by Ed Mosser » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:28 pm

Been gone a week and look at this big news! Wellsboro...that is getting close to home.

Dont know about the ability to pickup the NS line, that is about 15 miles away.

If you need a scanner, let me know. I have a couple of Radio Shack Pro 2017 type models and a hand held and the girl friend is raising eyebrows about my hardware. I will be glad to donate one to the cause.

Since you are going to be over in our neighborhood, I will throw in a tour also, lunch included.

ed

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Yea Ed, it is a bit of a distance but I'm going to see if I can stretch it that far. I'd love to have equipment donated. Al said he has a scanner we can use but I'd like to have a couple of them for audio if we can pickup NS, and if not, one for CSX and one for CN. Plus I'd like to be able to get an ATCS installation, I'll check to see if those scanners will support the modification that is needed.

I'll definitely give you a heads up when I figure out when I'm coming out. I'd love to spend a day out there just roaming around learning since I'm a Western Indiana virgin if you will. I've been to Chicago multiple times but never railfanned between here and there really.

I know the feeling about the girlfriend raising eyebrows. Now mine just raises them, rolls the eyes and turns around.

Mike- That is a common error I get here too. Try just closing media player, opening it again and trying the address. Repeat as neccessary until it takes. The codec used is a simple MP3, something that every media player knows how to play, I'm not sure why it kicks back that error.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:04 pm

greg:

Just let me know, try to make it a weekend (Saturday or afternoon on Sunday if possible). Wellsboro is actually a pretty interesting place, was much more so back in the 70's with the Chessie trains coming up from LaCrosse.

ed

AL STEVENS
Veteran

Post by AL STEVENS » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 pm

GREG- SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU SOONER. I'VE BEEN OUT IN NEBRASKA FOR THE BETTER PART OF THE WEEK.

IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME THE FREQUENCIES FOR THE C,F,&E AND FOR NS ON THE LINE THROUGH THOMASTON, I'LL PUT THEM IN THE SCANNER AND TEST HOW WELL RECEPTION IS FROM HERE. I'M ABOUT 7 MILES FROM THE C,F&E AT HANNA AND 10 MILES FROM THE NS AT THOMASTON.

I HAVE ACCESS TO A 25 FOOT TOWER. THE REAL QUESTION WILL BE WHETHER OR NOT THE WIFE IS RECEPTIVE TO THE IDEA OF MY PUTTING IT UP IN THE BACK YARD.

I'LL BE OUT IN NYC AND NEW HAMPSHIRE THIS WEEK. BUT IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS I SHOULD BE READY TO GET THIS THING ROLLING.

Michael Meisener

Antennae loan

Post by Michael Meisener » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Greg & Group

I have a magnetic mount Rail Com antennae that is tuned to RR frequencies. I would be happy to loan it out except for the 2 - 3 times a year I go back to Illinois (I connect my antennae to my friends hand held scanner) to see family and to Railfan. I am in Rochelle tonight & will be here in Illinois for the next couple of days. If this is something the group & Greg does not mind then I will be happy to loan my antennae out when I return to Butler.

Rob
Veteran

Cool!

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:37 pm

I hope you can pick up the Knox converter, i was sitting in the Knox McDonalds parking lot with the laptop, bout the best ATCS monitor works with my lil old Pro-51 handheld I tapped.

Also, I figured out TB 3 and made a layout the fills the gap on the CSX old B&O , It covers Garden to Ripley, have field tested the Milford Jct-Garden part today, all the right trains in all the right places to do it , got lucky. Thinking about heading east and testing the Cromwell and Ripley additions tomarrow, and i need to catch some Marion Branch action to see if the mnemonics i changed are right for the diamond at Milford Jct
Did a little from here at home 8 miles away using BCP Gravelton ACK messages.
Not bad for joining the ATCSmon group just around a month ago.
In time , if i ever get broadband, i may even host a server in the area, who knows.
Rob

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Al, what if you get your wife out of the house for the weekend when I come over, and we'll set it up and when she gets back, we yell "SURPRISE HONEY!". Think it'll work? :twisted:

Mike,
I appreciate it, but I'd rather have a permanent antenna to use for server installations. However, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to borrow it from you for a couple hours sometime. My new ATCS scanner hardly picks up at all and I'm not sure if it's the antenna or the scanner. The antenna got tossed around when I didn't have a scanner to use it on for several months and is kinda beat up; the cord is kinked in a couple places and the antenna has a bad lean to it from one of the connectors. I'll show you what I mean sometime. I'd really just like to tool around Butler and St Joe to see if it picks up better with your antenna. If so, I'm going to get myself one.

Ed Mosser
Veteran

Post by Ed Mosser » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:07 pm

What is ATSC?

I saw something on it and it was completely over my head. Is that where you hook up a scanner and plug it into a computer and it give a track layout similar to a dispatcher screen?

That is pretty amazing stuff. It is all I can do to plug in my scanner and enter a frequency. I hand it to you guys that know how to do that stuff.

One other thing to consider about Wellsboro is you might be able to pickup the NS Conrail line. The frequency for that line is 160.800 and it is pretty active.

Al, the NS frequency for the NKP is 161.49. NS dispatches CFE also on that frequency. I dont know the CFE's local frequency for crew communications.

ed

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:32 am

Ed Mosser wrote:What is ATSC?

I saw something on it and it was completely over my head. Is that where you hook up a scanner and plug it into a computer and it give a track layout similar to a dispatcher screen?

That is pretty amazing stuff. It is all I can do to plug in my scanner and enter a frequency. I hand it to you guys that know how to do that stuff.

ed
Yup, thats exactly what it is. I'll bring my rig out to show you when I come out that way, you'll be hooked as soon as you see it. One cool thing I'm trying to do on this site is make a ring of servers, Al's being no exception. This way you won't have to plug a scanner into your computer and just be able to watch whats going on near you, you can see whats happening in Ft Wayne just by plugging in a server address like you do the audio feed. I'm hoping to set one up at Al's too as this'll be great for the CSX Garrett sub fans. Perhaps get someone to host a server in Garrett and we'd be able to have pretty much the entire line from Willard to Chicago online!

Without going into too much detail, CSX is much more railfan friendly with the way their ATCS is setup than NS is. If you get near a BCP on CSX, which is like a central hub tower, you can pickup locations for maybe 10-20 miles in either direction because that tower repeats everything. But NS's BCP's don't repeat anything, therefore it doesn't make a difference if you're by one or not (if it did then NE would be the BEST place to sit in town as you'd pickup just about everything on the map!)

Rob- I've been told about the Knox convertor and you're right, that'd be great if I could pick that up. Do you know how many MCP's you were picking up out of it?

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Greg:

Ok, I will take you up on it. I will trade a scanner for an in service on how it works.

ed