ATCS server is now a reality!

Scanners, HAM's, ATCS, Streaming Audio, Mobile Rigs, and anything else tech.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

ATCS server is now a reality!

Post by Greg46m » Fri May 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Group-

After some frustration and anger I finally got the ATCS server going for all to use. For those that have ATCS already on their computers use this server information-Address="fwaudio.dyndns.org", Port="4800".

I'll be releasing a set of files later tonight that will be pre-configured with little setup necessary.

The audio server is going at the moment however the wireless connection is proving to be a pain. I have an ethernet cable ran to the server however I have not terminated the server end yet so it's not doing me any good. As soon as thats done we'll have a solid server connection and regular audio programming will return. For now though you can try connecting with the same address, fwaudio.dyndns.org:8000
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Fri May 25, 2007 3:26 pm

Glad to hear it Greg :D I think we owe you a case or beer or even a keg! Out of curiousity, exactly what territory will ATCS cover? Will it reach down on the NCD to Muncie or am I pushing my luck here?

Sweet!

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Gregs setup at his home alone will most likely cover the following at best (I hope for more tho!)
Runnion, Mike, Union, Piqua, Snake , Junction, Union,Sand , Hugo, Hadley, Hill ,4 mile
the more would be:
NE, E and W New Haven, E and W Dunfee , Winters road

NS system makes its a challenge to cover a large area, many individual servers will need to be tied together through a main instance serving a blend of servers along the line(s) being monitored.
Rob

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri May 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Rob is about right on Ed. Winters Rd will be a stretch. While not at full mast yet, I only occaisionally pickup Hugo (I now live about 1/2 mile NE of Runnion).
If I can get Hadley-Hugo-NE and everything in between I"ll be a happy camper.

Anybody around New Haven or west of town either on the Wabash or NS want to host a server?
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 8:28 pm

We can use anyone anywhere on the Ft Wayne layout to host a server!
I will reply here with a screenshot or 2 showing the layout so those who see they are close to any control points I have circled on the screenshot can respond as to intrest in hosting a server.
As far as any CSX servers, the best locations for hosting a server would be Avilla or Auburn ideally, and as for farther east on the layout coverage, I am not sure on BCP locations :) (I believe someone has a server with those east of Auburn covered possibly already?)
Rob

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 8:40 pm

The yellow circled locations would all be good possible server locations really!
The ones i drew in a question mark may or may not be covered well by Greg.
Who all is using Atcs monitor here anyway??

(Greg, if it is not allowed to show the layout on a forum due to ATCS mon group rules, please delete images at your leisure.)
Attachments
FTWAYNE-b.gif
FTWAYNE-b.gif (13.32 KiB) Viewed 10806 times
FTWAYNE-a.gif
FTWAYNE-a.gif (17.71 KiB) Viewed 10807 times
Rob

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Fri May 25, 2007 8:55 pm

I wonder what exactly is needed to host a setup....just an internet connection and a computer? Hell, Mom's house is only 200 feet from the NCD in Montpelier. She doesn't have internet currently though.

cspirit
Veteran

Post by cspirit » Fri May 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Can someone post me the updated Audio link? I'm up here at lake updating computer here and cannot get audio link to work properly?

Thanks

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 10:04 pm

You only need an internet connection(preferebly broadband) a properly tapped scanner capable of receiving the right frequencys and a computer running ATCS monitor!
But the nice part is once a "subserver" is up and running, it can be reserved blended with other subservers through a "master server" meaning the more small areas covered fed through the master server, the broader area we can cover with the master!
Rob

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Sat May 26, 2007 10:59 am

Big Ed wrote:I wonder what exactly is needed to host a setup....just an internet connection and a computer? Hell, Mom's house is only 200 feet from the NCD in Montpelier. She doesn't have internet currently though.
We will have a conection up here in Butler once my wireless equipment comes in. Metalink from Defiance, Ohio is saying sometime mid June. It has been on back order since March.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 am

Just a quick update. I got the audio server wiring all buttoned up tonight so there won't be anymore outages anytime soon hopefully. Reception is pretty bad right now on the radio so I might play with it and see if there's anything I can do to help that.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Sun May 27, 2007 9:30 am

Have you been moving the ATCS ant. around searching for "sweet spots"? or is it just seeming like you may be from indications i have seen?
I know where I live i have one spot in this house where i can possibly receive Gravelton for CSX, rental place here so I have not tried a mast outdoors yet.
Rob

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 27, 2007 11:44 am

I tried sticking it out the window last night but it didn't do much. The antenna did fall over yesterday which caused the error rate to jump from about 28 to 49 though.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun May 27, 2007 9:27 pm

[quote="Rob"]The yellow circled locations would all be good possible server locations really!
The ones i drew in a question mark may or may not be covered well by Greg.

Rob

I receive the voice radio transmissions on most all the NS area
that you circled in yellow on your second screen, especially at
night. Does this mean I might also pick up the train control signals?

Thanks

Mark

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Sun May 27, 2007 10:38 pm

It is odd, but just because you receive voice in those areas you probably will not receive usable digital signals for ATCS nearly as far, I would say 10-12 miles with a good mast ant. is pushing the limits for most situations with NS MCP's. Skip and weather affect signals a lot and can lead to suprises too.
Gregs setup once done will help me learn for sure if indeed 10-12 miles is possible. And then there is the consideration of the Error percentages, unless error rates are under 30% or so, ATCS really can lose its up to the minute status fast. And that goes for each individual MCP, Gregs indications this evening show hes not doing bad with Mike, Runnion and Piqua (2%, 7% and 12% respectivly) which is not too bad, but Junction, Union and Hugo are all 64% or over as far as seq errors. If listening to the audio when monitoring with a radio, you can "hear" the data burst and it sound clear yet see an error on ATCS monitor program quite a lot.(doing so will drive you crazy listening to background noise though!)
Rob