Current NKP passenger "station"

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Current NKP passenger "station"

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 am

As part of my new quest to photograph every existing railroad depot and station in the state of Indiana, I did something the other day that I had never done, and that was to take pictures of the Fort Wayne Nickel Plate "station". While the platforms up on the elevation seem complete and well thought out, the lower level just seems like a disorganized afterthought and incomplete. The only thing there is the two stairways and the baggage elevator. Was there originally more to it, and does anybody have pictures of the lower level when it was actually in use? Where did the station employees work out of, and where were tickets sold from? I feel silly for not knowing the answers to these questions, but it seems like one of those things that has kind of fallen through the cracks. I realize that by the time the elevation was built passenger trains on the NKP only had a few years left, but still. I searched online and couldn't find a single picture or description of it. I am kind of surprised the NKP went to as much trouble as they did with the station up the platform. It seems they could have done something on the cheap on a non-elevated portion of the line in town.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Re: Current NKP passenger "station"

Post by Steve Bryan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Bob, you have probably seen pictures of the original NKP depot before the elevation. It was still there after the elevation was built and I assume everything used that building, as before the elevation. Sometime after passenger service ceased, someone torched it and it burned down. I remember when it happened but I was just a kid so I am guessing it was sometime by the early 60's

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Passenger service ended 9/10/65 and I have a note on a photo of the station that it burned in 69 although I'm not positive about that.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Wow. I was under the impression that the original station burned down MUCH earlier. I have never seen too many photos of the old station either, and it seems like they are all taken looking east at the station from some distance away. I don't think I have ever seen the front or the east side, and certainly none after the elevation was constructed.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Here's one view
Fort Wayne NKP Entrance.jpg

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 pm

And another
Fort Wayne NKP.jpg

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:19 pm

And after the elevation
FTW NKP Station.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm

OK, GREAT! Picture three makes this whole thing make sense to me now. I know for a fact that I have NEVER seen this picture. Thanks for the help!