When film was king.

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

RDJ
Veteran

When film was king.

Post by RDJ » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm

RD
Attachments
ektrachrome200.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: When film was king.

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:23 am

Boy now there is one thing I do not miss one bit is film. When I look at all the years of pictures ruined by rotten film and even worse developing and the inability to test shots on the fly, I just want to cry. Not to mention the cost and the waiting for the results, only to find out the pictures sucked anyway. I would say fully 50% of my locomotive roster shots on film were ruined because the idiotic film developers cropped one end or the other off the picture.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:51 pm

But you have to admit.. Glass Plates produced some of the Finest Images ?

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:58 am

They did, when taken by really talented people under the right conditions and developed by people who knew what they were doing. None of that applies to me as a hack railroad photographer. Digital allows me to get many times closer to professional quality and the ability to fix errors and problems that would otherwise ruin a great shot, not to mention the cost savings. I only actually print about one in every 500 pictures I shoot, just the ones I want to hang on the wall. Otherwise I only look at them on the computer or on the TV.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

RDJ
Veteran

Post by RDJ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm

I agree with both of your comments.
My first good camera was a graphic press camera, you know the one that has the big flash attachment that uses the big bulbs.
The film it uses is cut film.
In the dark room you load the film carriers, the one with the slide that was removed when it was inserted
in the camera.
Then it was one shot at a time.
When you were done shooting it was back to the dark room for developing, enlarging and printing.
In those days I shot black and white as color was to expensive.
Photo quality was determined by film speed, processing and printing.
Time was needed to setup your shots
Now I have a 23mp digital camera that takes a burst of 8 fps.
Shot setup is not as critical which can degrade from the shot.
However I see my photos quickly so adjustment could be made.
Instead of the darkroom its Photoshop.
Both were and are enjoyable

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:31 pm

With film there was "an art" to getting the shot. After a few disappointment, you learned to look at other things beyond the viewfinder. Now just hold down the button and hope for the best in post-processing. :roll: One of the reasons I waited until the 2nd or 3rd generation of digital was available was to keep practicing that "art." Now there are a few new things to consider like shutter-lag waiting for the subject to come into frame, compose via view-finder or rear screen or will sun on screen make it hard to see, etc.
rrnut282
(Mike)